Saturday, February 25, 2017

Restore


I wrote this poem for a patient of mine. She was an infant with a terribly progressive terminal disease. I guess you could call this poem a "statement of faith" if you wanted to, but as a physician I despise when it seems that illness wins and my patients and their families lose. So in light of what most would call a hopeless situation, I decided to do the only thing I could do: write hope. 
I read this poem again tonight as I was going through my journal, and I felt like I needed to share it. I feel like there are lots of people who need hope, and if you are one of those, then this poem is for you. If you know of someone who needs hope, then please share this poem with them. I think it makes the world a better place when we take something born out of great tragedy and pain, and then help to turn that around for great good. Thanks :)   . 
Restore
The very things meant to destroy your hearing
Will be used to spread the sounds of heaven everywhere
The very things meant to destroy your vision
Will be used to reveal the colors and the beauty of God
The things meant to destroy your soul
Will bring healing to the nations
God has spoken, it is true
Those things brought as destruction against you
Will be the very things that lift you higher
Higher than one has ever been before

So keep looking for the door

No comments:

Post a Comment