Friday, June 2, 2017

Call to Arms


Call to Arms
There is nothing quite like the emptiness
Of a poet’s mind and heart
Staring at this blank piece of paper
With an even blanker mind
The heart numb
The spirit still 
And though my heart and soul and will
Long for a deep expression
The minutiae of the day 
Have drained it all away
Is this really any way to live?
Is this really any way to live at all?
A whim, an act, a curtain call
Then a glass of wine to wash the day away?
Listless sleep, a restless slumber
Then the agonizing buzz of a raucous alarm
The same damn time, the same damn number
To announce it is time to pretend again
Is this any way to live?
Is this really any way to live at all?
Is this even really living at all
Or is it merely cheap gyrations?
In the midst of all these frustrations
There’s nothing quite like the emptiness
So I, determined, pick up this pen
This is my sword
This is my dagger
And with the glory of a warrior’s swagger
I will stick it as deep into this slumber as I can

Just to understand what life and love can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment