Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Stay


I typically write free verse poetry. I can write the classical styles of poetry, but I’ve just always enjoyed a more free style of writing. Today, though, I had a song going through my head. It was Bruce Springsteen’s “Philadelphia.” I’ve always loved this song, and my favorite part of it is the captivating and haunting tune and rhythm of it. So as I had it going through my head, I had some lyrics come to me and I thought, “What the heck. Let’s write a song.” So here is “Stay” and it goes along (mostly) with the tune of “Philadelphia.” 

If anyone out there has some good tunes that need lyrics, let me know. Once I have a tune in my head, I can make the lyrics fit. Who knows? Maybe we’ll win a Grammy some day…


Stay

I wake up to the sunset
The day was dead and gone
I thought about the hills
That used to be my steadfast home
As the daylight of my eyes 
Slowly slipped away
I thought about the future
Thought about yesterday

But couldn’t stay in this moment
Couldn’t stay in this moment where I am me
Couldn’t stay in this moment
Couldn’t stay in the place where I am free

The darkness seems to tumble
Through the bright and golden fields
It seems to overtake everything in its wheels
I know I cannot dwell in this place
This place that isn’t home
So I gather up my children, prepare to roam

Can’t stay in this moment
Can’t stay in the moment where I cannot see
Can’t stay in this moment
Can’t stay in this place where I’m not free

Don’t know where this road is going to take me
But I know I share it with you
Don’t know where this road is going to take me
But I know that here with you, here everything’s new

I sense the shadows falling, the coming of the rain
I can feel the cold and listlessness of the autumn rains
I stare into the doorway, looking for the shore
But all I see is sunlight and nothing more

I’ve gotta stay in this moment
I’ve gotta stay where I am me
I’ve gotta stay in this moment
I’m going to stay where I am free

Going to stay in this moment
Going to stay in this moment

Going to stay


No comments:

Post a Comment