Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Burning (One)



I live here in this land
I was just moving along 
In the same routine as always
Moving, meandering aimlessly along
The sky was darkening
But it was getting brighter all the same
I thought I heard it whisper my name
But then I thought I must have been in the narrow hallways
For far, far too long
Again, again, this time in song
I heard sound call, and call again
A voice of reds and blues and yellows and brights
A view of sky and sheer delights
Was on a bright display
I had a choice to make this day

Keep moving

Or Turn Aside

I wanted to hide from the decision
Not wanting to face any dark derision
But at the same time knowing deep within
There was something more here than fanciful whim

So I turned to see, and I saw

A tree

On Fire

Somewhere, somehow my heart’s Desire
Was burning right here in this place
No time, no logic, no scene, no space
Could match with what I knew here

I was looking at the One

So I stayed here for a while
I heard nothing else
Nothing else but Beauty
Who kept playing the changing lyrics of the song
The day was short, the tones were long
And in the silence I could here the whisper of the call

This invitation to give my all
To simply gaze upon the Beauty
The One who is above all time
The One who is the end of all signs
And the beginning of all the differences
I shed my shame, I then gave all deference
To this One in front of me

I see the city where I wasn’t born
The place where everything seems foreign and strange
I see the palms off in the distance
Calling me to different shores, to rearrange
This insane desire to chase what isn’t seen 
And replace it with what is sure

But I have been down that road before
And it has nothing in its ending
Nothing in its middle, nothing in its beginning
Because all of it falls into the wastelands
The wastelands known as “Meaningless”
I long more for the light’s caress
So therefore I will simply stay here

I listen to the singing
In it I don’t hear the church bells ringing
But rather I hear the dance of happiness
From the ones who live their lives in contentment
From the ones who have found the keys
The keys to all true freedoms

I return my gaze, my attention to the tree
I guess this is where I always will be
I guess this is where I will stand
So I gaze once again on these foreign lands
I thank Wisdom that I have stopped running 
To get here

No comments:

Post a Comment