Saturday, January 20, 2018

Turn Aside (again)



In a year where I am convinced a major theme for me is “Rest and Restoration” I have had some crazy, crazy days. So much so I haven’t written much at all. So the other day I am heading in for another busy day, and….well…I’ll let the poem tell you the rest.


Turn Aside
I was simply marching this morning
Marching as I always do
Day after day
An obedient servant to the power of the clock
Time marches on, so must I
So must I in this eye for an eye world

But then

I looked to the right
It was the sunlight
I hadn’t seen it for days
The yellow-orange clouds and haze
Diffused the light into my very soul
I felt it enter in
And beckon me to turn aside

I paused, just for a moment
The green, wet grass was the forbidden path
The concrete pointed my appointed way
But I decided to do something very different this day

I turned aside

I walked a short way
The closer I came to the mountains distant
The brighter the sunlight became
I came to the place where I could no longer go
Knowing now the day would no longer be the same

I just stood there
Sunlight peaking over Mount Lassen
Mists spreading through the valley
There was such a beauty there it could not be denied
there was a magic released when I turned aside

As I stood there I felt I must take a photo
I took it
But it did not do the scene justice
One could not feel the invigorating air
One could not hear the birds song rising
One could not sense the peace of compromising
All that I knew to be right for this beauty

I finally had to go my way
I wished in this moment I could longer stay
But the sun was rising
The light hurting my eyes
I was glad to observe the colors of skies

That I would never have noticed 
Without turning aside

No comments:

Post a Comment