Sunday, January 21, 2018

Empty Train



Empty Train
I was sitting in the park today
Reading a good book
Watching my young children play
I heard the sound of the approaching train
Off in the distance
Beyond the river

The train came by
Crossing the river on the great, high bridge
Making quite the commotion
Stopping the traffic
Turning heads
No longer reading, I felt a notion

Then I noticed something

The engines were pulling nothing
Nothing but empty cars
No goods
No solutions
Nothing, nothing at all
Just empty car after empty car
Disrupting the placidity of the afternoon

At first I thought
“What a waste,
What a waste of time, of resources
What a waste to haul nothing around at all.
All this nothing cacophony disturbing our thrall.”

But then I thought, “What if they are returning the emptiness
To the place where it can be filled again?”
What if wisdom, our eternal friend,
Is trying to teach me to see things in a whole new way?
What if wisdom is trying to say
“Don’t assume all of this emptiness is a waste”?

Sometimes I have to give up the less I’m holding onto
In order to grasp the more
Sometimes I have to carry my emptiness
To a place where I can be filled again, implore
I must cross the rivers, traverse the mountains
Find someone with whom I can be a friend
Make plenty of noise for all to know

My emptiness is there for fulness to flow

No comments:

Post a Comment