Thursday, April 5, 2018

The Stone



I follow a blog on Word Press entitled “Walking with a Smacked Pentax.” It’s a fascinating blog written by James Elkington. He walks about the lands of Scotland, Northern England, and Wales taking photographs and telling stories of the areas he is photographing. It’s a great blog and I think I love it most because it shows me the land of my ancestors, land that I’ve never set foot on, but land where I know my DNA resides.
The other day he posted some photographs from the Scottish Highlands and I was particularly struck by one image, an image of the Praying Hands Stone. As I looked at it I had a poem come to me and I quickly wrote it down. I asked James if I could share his image with my poem and he very graciously agreed to. So today I share the photography of James Elkington along with the poem I wrote about it. Hope you enjoy!
Praying Mary's Hands Stone copy (1)
The Stone
I wonder if in all of our scientific prowess 
We have lost the things that matter most
Maybe it’s our materialism, our naturalism
They’ve led us to the answers
But the answers are not alive
They are dead and cold numbers
Mere equations and complicated formulae 
That leave our brains full
Our hearts completely empty 
A desert where no love or imagination 
Brings colors back into the scenery
I think the time has come 
For a both, and an and
A time where human beings
Become human again 
Using our discoveries for the good of us all
Leaving room for our lives full of colors
I simply know if I had my druthers 
I would let love and wisdom live side by side


James’ blog can be found at https://smackedpentax.wordpress.com. Go check it out 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment